Friday, July 29, 2011

Looking for Local...

It's that time of the month.. I need an eyebrow wax.
What to do?
Where to go?
How to know?

MY go-to, one-and-only, BEST aesthetician who has been doing my eyebrows since I was 16-years-old is in RENO. And, no way can I wait for my next trip mid-August.

You can't trust your eyebrows to just ANYONE.
Believe me.
Your eyebrows help shape your face, and I have a very specific style.

My new aesthetician will LOVE me, I'm sure. ;)

Well...
Naturally, I found myself perusing the internet.

Search terms: Spa Huntington Beach...Best Spa Huntington Beach.... Best Aesthetician Orange County... uh, still not what I want...Best Spa Orange County...

Finally, something...

The OC Register {my new local newspaper} Announces Annual "Best Of Orange County Awards". Great! This should work.

{CLICK}

AND THE AWARD
FOR BEST SPA DAY...

MAY I HAVE THE ENVELOPE PLEASE...

Burke Williams, full-service spa in Mission Viejo & Orange. 13,000 square feet, treatments include use of full-size whirlpool spa, steam room, and sauna.

{uh.. too far, and 13,000 square feet..probably not baby-friendly}

1st Runner Up: Swiss Clinique, Corona Del Mar. Specializing in anti-aging, facial reflexology, and Japanese Cosmo face-lifting.

{not sure what all that means, but I don't see eyebrow wax on the menu.}

{Fail}

Well, while I'm here...
What else can I learn about the "Best of Orange County"? We need some solid recommendations as the newbies in town.
Allow me to share some other award recipients with you...

BEST PLACE TO BUY KIDS' CLOTHES
1st Place: A tie.... Old Navy and Target
2nd Place: Kohl's

BEST ASIAN RESTAURANT
1st Place: P.F. Chang's (multiple OC locations)
2nd Place: Pei Wel (6 locations in OC)

BEST COFFEEHOUSE
1st Place: Starbucks
2nd Place: Kean Coffee

BEST PET STORE
1st Place: PetSmart
2nd Place: Petco

{IS THIS A JOKE??????}

I would say yes, must be. But come to think of it, every "local" I've casually been able to ask,
Where's a good place to eat in HB?,
has responded with:
BJs,
Cheesecake Factory,
IHOP
.
.
.

I refuse to believe that these results, and the FEW conversations with locals that I have had mean that there's no quality, locally-owned businesses in Orange County.

Obviously, that's not the case.

And, I get it. I'm in PR. Those "Best Of" awards are equal parts a true battle between businesses to win the honor of saying that they are THE "local favorite" as much as it's a battle between those local PR firms- spinning, pitching influencing and stuffing the ballot boxes.

And, because I do the work that I do I can EASILY tell who's a real winner, say for example in RENO Magazine's "Best Of Reno" issue, and which "winners" just hired a good publicist (like me).

STILL, how disappointing OC Register. You are journalists. Where have you journalistic ethics and integrity gone?

More business for me, I suppose.

I'm not too worried though. Over time John and I will meet more and more people, and explore more and more OC areas. We'll find our own LOCAL favorites...restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops, clothing stores, etc...

In the meantime, we'll just enjoy the entertainment we have, right at home, for free...

LIKE THIS:



{PRECIOUS}
.
.

But, since we're talking about fun, local things to check out in HB...
This weekend is the Nike US Open of Surfing, just south of the HB Pier.

CHECK. THIS. OUT.
{and click here to learn more}


Have a great weekend!
And, if you know of any good spas down here, keep me posted! I'm still looking!

love, kerry

No comments: